Some Interesting Facts about the Florida Manufacturing Industry
- There are more than 14,000 manufacturing businesses in Florida.
- Florida has a strong, skilled manufacturing workforce which represents 5% of the state’s workforce.
- About 307,500 people in Florida are employed by manufacturers.
- The average annual salary for a Florida manufacturing employee is $68,000 about 72 percent higher than the statewide average private sector wage.
- In 2010, Florida exported $14 billion of manufactured goods to Free Trade Agreement partner countries.
- Manufactured goods represent 85 to 90 percent of all Florida exports. Each dollar of manufactured goods creates another $1.43 of activity in other sectors.
- Manufacturing firms perform approximately 70 percent of U.S. industry research and development.
- Florida’s manufacturing industries are diverse, and include companies in traditional manufacturing industries, such as electronics, plastics, food processing and printing, as well as those engaged in breakthrough technologies like laser and photonics, medical devices and aviation/aerospace.
- Manufacturers have the biggest multiplier effect of all industries in Florida. Therefore more economic activity is gained per economic development dollar invested in manufacturing than in any other sector.
- Florida counties that have a strong manufacturing presence include Brevard, Broward, Duval, Miami-Dade, Orange and Pinellas counties.
- Between 2003-2010, there was a 102% growth in exports of manufactured goods in Florida.
Manufacturing Output and Exports
- Florida Total Manufacturing Output $37 ($billions, 2012)
- Manufacturing’s Share of Total Gross State Product 4.8% (2012)
- Manufacturing Establishments in Florida 18,389 (2012)
- Manufacturing’s Share of Florida’s Exports 93% (2011)
- Total Employment Related to Manufactured Goods 111,200 Exports (2009)
2009-2012 Growth of Manufactured Goods Exports 50.8%
- Employment and Compensation
- Manufacturing Employment 340,267 (2011)
- Manufacturing Employment (% Overall Private Non-Farm) 3.9% (2011)
- Average Annual Compensation in Manufacturing $63,853 (2011)
- Average Annual Compensation in Private Non-Farm $37,781 Sectors (2011)
- Manufacturing Pay Premium $26,072 (2011)
- $33.00 per hour.
Sources: U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis, U.S. Census Bureau, International Trade Administration; U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Sources: Florida Tax Watch Report (Aug.2011), Agency for Workforce Innovation, Enterprise Florida, Inc., FLATE Center for Manufacturing Education, Manufacturing Association of Florida, Manufacturing Skill Standards Council, National Association of Manufacturers, Workforce Florida, Inc.